The library was founded in 1940 when the first round of renovations was complete. It contained books about the history of the military orders and books on local and regional history. Today, the main focus of the library’s collection is still the history of the Orders. The library includes books dating from the 16th century to modern day.
One of the most prized collections in the library is a set of different volumes of the famous chronicle of Johann Stumpf, published in Zurich in 1548, illustrated with over 400 beautiful woodcuts. Stumpf was Prior of the Convent of the Commandery of Bubikon from 1522, but converted to the Reformation after he met Ulrich Zwingli. He became the first Protestant Pastor of Bubikon until he went to Stammheim in 1543.